Generally speaking, when it comes to websites and their hosting requirements, there are two main platforms/camps:-
- The open source Linux/Unix camp, where you will see jargon such as PHP and MySQL used, Open source refers to software for which the original source code is freely available and may be distributed and modified. Hosting companies provide access to Linux/Unix based servers at a low monthly fee without any software licensing charges being involved.
- The Microsoft environment which is proprietary, involving ongoing license fees.
The websites I build use open source software and need to operate in a Linux/Unix environment. They are built using the WordPress CMS (content management system) platform. WordPress is used on millions of websites worldwide.
- Easy to use and learn, making it an ideal platform of choice for your website.
- Highly extendable via the use of themes and plugins. No matter what you require from your website there is likely to be something available that provides this functionality.
- Open source and therefore free to use.
You can find out more about WordPress here.
To set up your WordPress website in its own hosted environment requires a hosting environment that offers the use of PHP (a scripting language) and a MySQL database. Due to its enormous popularity, most hosts will make it clear whether their environment supports WordPress. However, if in doubt, check with them first. This is extremely important because I will be unable to help you if I am unable to install WordPress into your environment.
There are many companies to choose from in Australia where you can obtain your domain name and hosting. You are advised to do your homework before selecting one and ensure you take time to read reviews etc. to try and get a true picture and get beyond the marketing hype.
Before I can get involved, you will need to ensure your domain is aligned to your hosting account. Every domain has a set of name servers and you will need to login to your domain registrar account and alter the name servers. The instructions from your web host should provide you with the information you require to do this. It can take up to 3 days for any changes to propagate globally.
Once you have your hosting account organised and have altered the name servers so your domain is accessible, I can get started. You can either:-
- Provide me with the login to your hosting account and I will take care of everything, I can organise this for a one-off charge of $100. The easiest way to accomplish this is by forwarding the information that you received from your host.
- You can access your hosting and organise what I require to install your WordPress site.
Here is a listing of what I require to install your WordPress website.:-
- An email address using your domain name, e.g. email@example.com. This is your website’s administration email address and should be separate from your personal email address.
- The name, username and password of the site’s MySQL database.
- An FTP address, username and password – the process of moving files from a local computer to your web environment is known as FTP and in order to install WordPress I will require your FTP credentials to allow me to transfer the necessary files to the hosting environment.
Still confused or have further questions? Send me a query and I’ll get back to you.