All too often, I’m asked to review existing websites that look little more than an online brochure! Yes, the overall appearance of your website is an important consideration, but you need to also consider it’s content and layout.
It’s extremely important to remember that everything on the internet is one click away and if you fail to capture your visitors’ interest then ‘click’, you’ve lost them. Most people are suffering from information overload so you need to get their attention fast.
I found this excellent 5 minute video presentation today which illustrates this very well. In the video, Patrick Schwerdtfeger of Tactical Execution presents the cornerstone of an effective web presence.
He reminds us that:-
- your website is part of your sales department and needs to make sales via an effective sales funnel, and that
- driving traffic to your website is a marketing function.
Patrick goes into further detail, outlining three questions your website needs to answer your target customers within 5 seconds. These include:-
- Exactly what do you want them to do?
- Include a clear call to action, so for example if you want them to subscribe to your mailing list, then make sure you make this easy to do!
- Encouraging them to interact with you to build trust. This is essential with a faceless medium such as the internet to make you stand out.
I’d be interested to know whether you’ve considered these fundamental questions for your own website or blog? What are you doing to interact with your visitors and build trust? Please check out Patrick’s video below and I look forward to your comments.
Filed under: Internet Marketing